I have been researching levels from Nitrome Games as some of you probably known and have been able to finish one of the researchs. The research I finished is for the game Square Meal.
Square Meal has been released about 6 years ago by Nitrome, and is a simple platformer game where you have to defeat all the enemies. The game consists out of 50 levels.
Now, the fact is, creating levels for this game is simple (and gives us another subject to speak about on the Nitrome Blog), therefore, I have created a level creator that allows us to create levels for Square Meal. The interface is pretty poor and can be accessed from in your browser. Using following link, you can start to create a level.
Creating a level...
The interface consists out of 2 parts. The level and the toolbox:
- Level: contains the level you're designing
- Toolbox: contains 3 sections:
- Selected Block Section: This little section contains the block you currently have selected.
- Block Selection Section: This section contains all the blocks that you can use to design your level. Please note that you need one green troll and one blue troll. You also need at least one enemy.
- Other Options: This section contains a few buttons that will help you to design your level.
- Add row: With this button, you can add a row to your existing level
- Delete row: With this button, you can remove the last row of your existing level
- Delete column: With this button, you can delete the last column of your existing level
- Add column: With this button, you can add a column to your existing level
- Add a border: With this button, you can add a border. A border is required for every level, and because it was the hardest thing when you're designing a level, I decided to let the level editor generate it for you. This is just a basic border, you can add fires to wall, and handles.
- Check this to clear fields: This is a checkbox. When checked, you can click on blocks in your level to clear them. When you uncheck this again, you can continue designing.
- Submit a level: With this button, you have a chance that your level becomes a part of a level pack.
- Import a level: With this button, a prompt will come up asking for a code. Upon clicking "OK": it will show you the level.
- Download a level: With this button, a new window will open with the code. This grants you the option to save it to your desktop.
Play test a level
Let's get started
You can create as many levels as you want, feel free to post questions, bugs, and suggestions on my talk page or in the comment box below.
Levelpack 1 has 50 levels right now! Those 50 levels are here to playtest: http://nitrome.webatu.com/sm/lp1/. Please note that the game and the images in the game are property of Nitrome. The levels that the game has, are created by Nitromians and are fan made! For the official game with the offical levels: visit the website of Nitrome .
Level 16:kris zsok
Level 45:The Nitrome Yeti
Levelpack 2 has 50 levels right now! Those 50 levels are here to playtest: http://nitrome.webatu.com/sm/lp2/. Please note that the game and the images in the game are property of Nitrome. The levels that the game has, are created by Nitromians and are fan made! For the official game with the offical levels: visit the website of Nitrome .
Level 2:Like Me
Level 7:pants97s sister
Below are a few levels from the current game for your inspiration: