Normal (left) and the mirror version (right)
The girl is the heroine of Ditto.
This protagonist is seen as having a rectangle for a head and a pyramid skirt for a body, both of which are white. Also, she wears a white bow on her head and a red cape on her back. She has two small black squares for eyes.
Although when still she is perfectly geometric in shape, walking causes her cape to swish about and jumping causes her pyramidal skirt to billow out, revealing small white pointy feet underneath. The girl's double in the opposite world is exactly the same is appearance except that it is an orange outline filled in with black, and it has no cape.
The game begins when the girl wakes up as a butterfly perches upon her face. She gets up and finds herself trapped in a dungeon just below a hole she fell out from, along with a mirror version of herself in a mirror world below her. She then goes through the open door in the room, and makes her way through the rest of the dungeon, solving puzzles and avoiding hazards along the way.
The player controls the girl in Ditto purely with the arrow keys.and make her move, while makes her jump. While in the air, the player can press and hold a second time to glide. Gliding will cause the girl's skirt to billow out and slow her fall. Using this reduced fall, the player can move left and right to make much longer jumps than otherwise possible.
If the character or her mirror doubles touches any enemy or hazard, a square implosion animation occurs, and she dies and respawns at the beginning of the room with any gems collected reset. The girl also cries out as she transitions back to the start of the level. When her reflection is killed, she will cry out as usual, but the audio would be reversed.
Along with controlling the main character, using the arrow keys also controls the girl's reflection in the opposite mirror world when orange mirrors are present. However, in some rooms the controls are inverse to the normal world, adding an extra challenge to the game. Multiple reflections can be present depending on the number of orange mirrors in range.
- Ditto skin - The girl and her reflection is deformed in front of the mirror in the deformed black background.
- Beneath The Lighthouse - The girl appears as a cameo in the texture of the first room of level 18.
- In the January 30th 2014 blog post, the girl's red cape is more smooth than the cape she has in the game.
- ↑ November 12th 2015 - Reply by Nitrome: @Frostyflytrap yep
In response to Frostyflytrap:
Hey @Nitrome is the girl from Ditto supposed to be human?
- ↑ April 1st 2015 - Reply by Nitrome: @Frostyflytrap just a glitch...@Frostyflytrap yeah we see what you mean. You can take it as intentional if it makes us seem more clever! ;)