Blue in enzyme form
|Game(s)||Test Subject series|
Blue is a blue enzyme with two eyes. Unlike other enzymes, he takes the shape of a teardrop.
Test Subject Green
From the newly created green enzyme, the scientist tested it out against Blue. When carrying out the 3rd test, the sirens within the lab went off and the scientist abruptly disappeared. Blue managed to complete this test and the scientist tried to carry out the next, but lost a hold of Blue as he injected him into the start cylinder.
Blue appears as the main character in the series. He is the only playable character.
Blue also makes an appearance in the spin-off Test Subject Arena, facing off against Green from the sequel. The spin-off introduces a new melee attack where when it can attack Green within a very close range. Instead of shooting with the proton gun, Blue will slash Green with an extended piece of its gun.
Blue in Nitrome Must Die, in his proto-suit (top) and in the Rex209 (bottom)
|Attacks||Firing proton bullets|
|Game(s)||Nitrome Must Die|
Blue appears in Nitrome Must Die as the fourth boss of the game. Blue is held by the scientist, whose hand is reaching out of the wall. He will move the enzyme in his suit vertically up and down the wall.
Blue attacks by simply firing his gun while the scientist moves him up and down. After having his health lowered down to a certain point (but less than half), he will strike a pose he does when he gains a kill in Test Subject Arena and cause several giant blue spheres to appear, all which will try to home in on the player.
To increase chances of survival, firing the weapon (containing bullets) destroys the blast, leaving the player's character unharmed. (This strategy of firing at projectile to avoid damage also becomes useful during the fight against the final boss.)
After lowering Blue's health down to slightly less than half, he will switch into the Rex209 and fire more rapidly. All the time he is one the screen he will fire green proton bullets, only stopping when he is pulled back off the screen.
After his health is depleted, the hand will move vertically up and down, then explode. After a few seconds, it will be slowly pulled off the screen.
In the Test Subject Series, Blue performs his tests in a mechanical suit known as the proto suit. It allows him to shoot proton bullets for defense, and move freely around his surroundings. He is also given the ability to jump when hazards are presents. Hazards will instantly shatter and destroy his suit, as well as himself.
In Test Subject Arena, the suit also has a special melee account. When close to Green, he will slash the enzyme with an piece of proton extending from Blue's gun. Also, when he kills Green in Test Subject Arena, he extends some proton and strikes a pose.
In the Test Subject Series, Blue is tested out by the scientist through twenty-five tests. In each test, he is spawned and placed in his suit from a spawn cylinder. In each level, he must navigate himself to a food pill, which at the start of each level is surrounded by a glass capsule.
To deactivate the glass capsule, a key card will deactivate the glass around the food pill. Blue can now obtain the food pill, which he will pick up when he gets to it and be sucked through a pipe to the next level. He may have to use other objects to get to the key card and food pill.
- Knight/Office Trap - Blue and Green cameo as enemies called slimes. Interestingly, Knight Trap hinted Test Subject Green with the inclusion of Green as a green slime.
- Nitrome 2.0 skin - Blue appears above a vat of orange enzymes.
- When Blue stands in one place for a set amount of time, he will throw himself up against the glass in his suit twice, creating cracks, which will quickly disappear.
- In Test Subject Arena, Blue gains a special melee attack where he will slash Green with a piece of proton extending from his gun. It is not known if this will be implemented into future Test Subject Blue games.
- Although enzymes have don't have a gender, Blue is referred to be male.
- Blue bears a strong resemblance to the main protagonist character in Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime.
- Blue slimes that look similar to Blue are seen in many Nitrome games, including Knight Trap, Office Trap, Nitrome Must Die, and Blast RPG.